Me

Me
my 1st year as a "Nana."

Learn to Earn

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Are You Oppressed by an Employer?

Hello out there in blogger's realm. I went into my employer's place of business yesterday to say farewell to a mentor colleague who is retiring. I am still trying to feel connected though I am on disability. The Principal of the school said at other campuses, employees on disability are not allowed to step foot on campus. And, she looked at me and told me she thought "Hum, if she is well enough to walk in here then why is she not well enough to work." I pointed out that I cannot grip a pen or pencil for a lengthy time that my finger tips are numb all of the time. Basically the over all impression that I get from administration is definite lack of compassion. But I am a firm believer that what goes are comes around. Someday they will be disabled and how they treated disabled people will come back to haunt them before they enter the grave.

Mind you, to get the full picture here, keep in mind that teachers where I work are only allowed to make 3 paperwork mistakes in a month. They get terminated the third month of mistakes. This is all because the State takes away attendance money if auditors see discrepancies like teacher's iniatials, signature, date, homework code and apportionment days or comments like good , bad, redo etc. are not on the student's paper work as well matching the computer forms.
Now I have seen excellent teachers buckle under this pressure. It is enough to create obsessive/compulsive disorders. Technically, I should see if I could find and attorney to start a class action suit against the State on behalf of all of teachers and districts with Alternative Ed. Programs (esp. Charter Schools) who lost revenue over these petty (non-educational) human errors. Attendance money should be separate from teacher's educational notations.

I have a very low tolerance for oppression, exploitation and unreasonable demands on employees. Though my employer pays a good salary with good benefits, there is an American public at large that is getting ripped off of decent wages and benefits. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out when people think $12/hour is a good wage. That was true in the '70s, but that same wage in the next millenium is ludicras, especially when the present cost of a two bedroom bungalow is nearly a half a million bucks in California. This sucks, and we're accepting this lot in life like blind helpless sheep. This scares the shit out of me because holocaust come out of this apathy. When are the American people going to take charge over ruthless employers?

I have to get my injuries/disabilities taken care of first. Then I will likely, simply move on to another job because with the restrictions I will have when I return, this employer shows no interest in "reasonably accomodating" me which they should according to the American Disability Act. In my heart, I think I should fight this; but my head said you can't win "fighting City Hall" so to speak. However, I have seen and heard colleagues at many different schools and friends at other places of business talk that somebody should do something to make someone pay or at least make changes. Sometimes I am that person to get change set in motion. May be I will be that person in this case. Who out there would support me?

I am not a Retail Clerk or Walmart fan for how badly they treat their employees, nor am I a Sears fan for that matter of NAFTA out sourcing. If I were an employer, I would demand the State of California reduce its Worker's Comp. cost to business owners, because the people benefitting (from the 40% of every dollar we are paid) are the doctors and the lawyers and the control freaks. It's disgusting. I seriously want to venture into my own business, but business has to change. Employers should be able to offer benefit packages with perks and really good pay so they do not have a high attrition rate and so that the economy can be stronger. If people do not have money to dispense and save, lifesyles become stagnant and evaporate. Don't you just hate this, and want to do something about it sometimes?

2 degrees away from boiling,

Kat

No comments: